A Changing World: Education in New Brunswick
1879-1880, 19th century
23.6 x 21.3 x 1.5 cm
This artefact belongs to: © Centre d'études acadiennes
Keys to History
After the promulgation of the Common Schools Act two teachers' training colleges, one in Saint-Jean (operating from 1848 to 1870) and the other in Chatham (open from 1867 to 1870), closed down and a new college was established in Fredericton in 1870. English was the language used for instruction, and very few francophones went to train there. In a report dated 1878 the superintendent of public schools T. H. Rand suggested the creation of preparatory classes for French speakers who wished to obtain a provincial teaching diploma. The teacher of French hired for the post, Valentin Landry (1844-1919), was an Acadian from Pokemouche, New Brunswick, who then moved to Fredericton to pursue his new career at the Fredericton college of education. He left this post the following year to become inspector of schools.
The exercise book contains notes on his inspection of a number of schools in New Brunswick.
Valentin Landry was responsible for inspecting schools in the counties of Gloucester and Kent and some in Westmorland, New Brunswick.
Valentin Landry was inspector of schools from 1879 to 1887.
As the initials V.A.L. on the cover show, these notes were written by Valentin Landry.