A Changing World: Education in New Brunswick
About 1920, 20th century
73.5 x 106.7 x 72 cm
Gift of Religieuses Notre-Dame du Sacré-Cur
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
The schools act of 1837 established school boards to which those who wished to obtain a teaching diploma had to apply. The examinations candidates were required to pass included not only tests of their literary knowledge but also an evaluation of their abilities and comportment. In 1842, following an attempt to reform the system, teaching diplomas were cancelled; only those applicants judged competent by the examiners of the county education committee could obtain a new diploma from the governor.
It was after these new directives had been implemented that a teachers' college was founded in New Brunswick in 1847 to train schoolmasters and schoolmistresses.
The two holes in the top of the desk held inkwells.
The teacher's desk often stood on a dais to emphasize her or his authority.
Desks like this one were used until the mid-1950s.
These desks were shared by two pupils, and even three in the case of the youngest children.