A Changing World: Education in New Brunswick
Holy Family Convent, Tracadie, N.B.
Photogelatine Engraving Co. Limited
About 1910, 20th century
7 x 13.5 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
On arriving in 1868 the Religieuses Hospitalières de St-Joseph de Montréal took over the Lazaretto (quarantine hospital). Things were difficult at first, as no money was forthcoming from the provincial government. It was thanks to generous donors like the parish priest of Tracadie, the Abbé Ferdinand Edmond Gauvreau (1806-1875) that they were able to get by. The Lazaretto became the first French-language hospital in New Brunswick. The sisters later founded other houses in Chatham (1869), Saint-Basile (1873) and Campbellton (1888), devoting themselves to both nursing and teaching. The Académie Sainte-Famille, which opened in 1912, accepted both boys and girls who enrolled for theory classes.
The old Académie Sainte-Famille building now houses Tracadie's historical museum.
The Religieuses Hospitalières de St-Joseph made their presence felt in the north of the province mainly through their hospital work but also through their teaching.
Construction of the Académie Sainte-Famille began in 1910 and ended in 1912.
Mother Marie Pagé was founder and Mother Superior in Tracadie, New Brunswick. She moved there with eight nuns in 1868.