A Changing World: Education in New Brunswick
The First Reading-Book
T. Nelson and Sons
1905, 20th century
15.9 x 10.7 x 1 cm
Gift of M. Alban Maillet
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
Leaders in the Acadian community wanted to see more French-speakers in the administration of education in New Brunswick. They were much relieved when early in the century the list of school inspectors cited the appointment of J. Flavien Doucet and Charles D. Hébert. Doucet became inspector of schools in the counties of Gloucester and Madawaska; Hébert was the inspector of schools for Kent, the Frenchspeaking parishes of Westmorland and the parish of Rogersville, all in New Brunswick.
At this time the small number of books in French used in the province's public schools was another cause for concern among prominent Acadian citizens.
This bi-lingual reader has French on one page and English on the other.
This schoolbook was probably used in the southeast of New Brunswick.
Students moved on to a new textbook once they had absorbed the content, not necessarily at the start of the school year as is the case nowadays.
Schoolbooks were expensive, and students took great care of them so that they could be used for years on end.