A Changing World: Education in New Brunswick
Normal School, Fredericton, 1885
1885, 19th century
12.7 x 17.6 cm
This artefact belongs to: © Centre d'études acadiennes
Keys to History
Pierre-Amand Landry (1846-1916) and other Acadian leaders put pressure on the provincial government for a preparatory department for francophone students who wished to receive their teachers' training in French. New Brunswick's future schoolmasters and schoolmistresses had attended training schools since 1848, but courses were still not offered in French. In 1884 a French Department was established at the training college, and Alphée Belliveau, who had succeeded Valentin Landry, became its chairman. He was to occupy the position until 1920.
The training college or "normal school" in Fredericton, New Brunswick, was dedicated to fostering the art of teaching and also that of communicating.
Alphée Belliveau's house in Fredericton, New Brunswick, was a gathering place for Acadians passing through the provincial capital.
In 1850 the teachers' training college in Fredericton, New Brunswick, was destroyed by fire.
Marie Babineau, seen in this photograph (second row, second from the left), sewed the star on the first Acadian flag. In the centre (the ringed head) is Alphée Belliveau, chairman of the French Department of the Fredericton teachers' training college.