A Changing World: Education in New Brunswick
St. Joseph's College, Westmorland Co., N.B.
The Valentine & Sons Publishing Co., Ltd
About 1910, 20th century
8.8 x 13.7 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
The founding of the Collège Saint-Joseph in 1864 heralded a bright new future for the education of the Acadian community in New Brunswick. However, the College was bilingual, and some prominent Acadians felt that English was predominant. The preservation of the French language was always of primary importance to Acadian leaders like Monsignor Marcel-François Richard. The imposition of the King Act of 1871 cast a pall over the spirit of renewal in education then apparent in New Brunswick, where the founding of the Collège Saint-Joseph had seemed to promise better times. As a result of the bill's enactment a number of private schools were established by and for the Acadian community.
Collège Saint-Joseph, seen in this postcard, was the predecessor of the Université de Moncton, New Brunswick.
Boys came from all over New Brunswick and elsewhere to obtain a good education at Collège Saint-Joseph in Memramcook, New Brunswick.
Collège Saint-Joseph was founded in 1864. In 1953 the Université du Collège Saint-Joseph transferred some of its teaching staff to Moncton, and the Université de Moncton was created in 1963.
College Saint-Joseph was founded by Father Camille LeFebvre, c.s.c.