The Acadian Renaissance
Le Moniteur acadien
1867, 19th century
24 x 43 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
The first French language newspaper published in Acadia was Le Moniteur acadien. Founded in Shédiac, New Brunswick, in 1867 - the year of Confederation in Canada - by Israël D. Landry, who was originally from St. Jean, Quebec, the first issue came out in July of that year.
Le Moniteur acadien, which was read by Acadians throughout the Maritimes, was the first weekly devoted to the interests and concerns of the Acadian people.
The newspaper had several different owners before it finally ceased production, in 1926.
This document announces the creation of the newspaper, Le Moniteur acadien, which maintained its conservative political leanings throughout its existence.
The leaflet was produced by a printer in Chatham, close to Miramichi, New Brunswick.
The leaflet was printed on March 5, 1867, the same year in which the first issue of Le Moniteur acadien came out.
Israël D. Landry, who published this leaflet, clearly identifies himself as the printer and owner of the future newspaper.