Use file > print in the menu bar to print this page.

XX.2473
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Photograph
About 1890, 19th century
10.3 x 7.1 cm
XX.2473
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton

Keys to History:

Trained as a primary-school teacher, Valentin Landry (1844-1919) obtained a first-class diploma from the teachers' training college in Truro, Nova Scotia, in 1868. He worked for some years in Nova Scotia before finally returning to teach in New Brunswick. Little did he know, when he accepted the position of French teacher in the Fredericton training college, that in 1879 he would become the first Acadian inspector of schools in the province. His baileywick as inspector comprised the counties of Gloucester and Kent and part of Westmorland. The gaps in the school system and the inadequacy of the primary school teachers' training soon became apparent to him, and he began to work hard to obtain school books in French and to improve the educational system of French-speaking New Brunswickers.

What:

As well as becoming the first Acadian schools inspector in New Brunswick, Valentin Landry was the founder of the newspaper L'Évangéline, published in Digby, Nova Scotia. The first edition was published on 23 November 1887.

Where:

Valentin Landry studied at Collège Saint-Joseph in Memramcook, New Brunswick and at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

When:

Valentin Landry was born in Pokemouche in 1844 and died in Moncton, New Brunswick, in 1919.

Who:

Jérôme Boudreau succeeded Valentin Landry as inspector of schools.

© Musée McCord Museum