Use file > print in the menu bar to print this page.

CEA2004.a
This artefact belongs to: © Centre d'études acadiennes
Grant of land
Frédérick Daigle
1820, 19th century
Cotton
30 x 50 cm
CEA2004.a
This artefact belongs to: © Centre d'études acadiennes

Keys to History:

To encourage colonization in the 18th and 19th centuries, the British colonial government granted land to new settlers. In the Maritimes, the lots were usually 100 to 200 acres. The uncultivated or wooded land sometimes included marshy areas, which were desirable for growing hay.

Although grantees only paid a small annual royalty for the land, they had to meet certain obligations. For example, within three years they had to build a house measuring at least 6 x 5 m (20 x 16 ft), farm 3 out of every 50 acres and raise three cattle for every 50 acres of land cultivated, or risk losing the land.

The first land granted to Acadians after the expulsion was in Pubnico, NS, in 1771, and in Cocagne, NB, and on St. Mary's Bay, NS, in 1772.

What:

This land grant includes the signed document, the map and the seal of the province of New Brunswick.

Where:

According to the map, the land granted to Frederick Daigle was on the banks of the Aldouane River in southeastern New Brunswick.

When:

This grant was entered in the registry on December 8, 1820.

Who:

These papers show that land was granted to Frederick Daigle and indicate its boundaries.

© Musée McCord Museum