Use file > print in the menu bar to print this page.

1955.28
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Carving
Harp
1830-1880, 19th century
91 x 51 cm
Purchase by Webster Museum Foundation
1955.28
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum

Keys to History:

While prospering in New Brunswick, William Parks retained a strong attachment to his Irish heritage. In 1843-1844, he led the disaffected Irish faction out of the Scottish-dominated St. Andrew's Church to form St. John's Presbyterian Church. Thereafter he was instrumental in obtaining Irish pastors for the new congregation.

This carving of an Irish harp may have been used on a ship in which the Parks family had an interest.

Source : Out of Ireland [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

What:

This harp is carved from a single piece of pine.

Where:

Harps are one of the national symbols of Ireland.

When:

From about 1100 A.D., Ireland developed a distinctive type of harp characterized by, among other things, a heavy harmonic curve or neck.

Who:

William Parks, a prominent Saint John businessman, held an interest in numerous New- Brunswick-built ships.

© Musée McCord Museum