Use file > print in the menu bar to print this page.

19151
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Photograph
1875, 19th century
15.7 x 19.3 cm
New Brunswick Museum
19151
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum

Keys to History:

Shipbuilders required two things: a plentiful supply of timber and a coastline suitable for launching ships. New Brunswick had both. Logs were floated downstream to mills on the riverbank or along the coast. Sawmills produced large quantities of square timber and planks, much of which was exported to Britain.

Wooden sailing ships were needed to transport New Brunswick timber to foreign markets. Many shipyards, like this one in Albert County, sprang up to meet the demand. Many of New Brunswick's larger shipyards were self-sufficient operations. They had their own lumberyards, sawmills, steam shops for bending planks, warehouses, blacksmith's forges and workshops.

What:

Turner and Dow built at least 10 vessels from 1875 to 1885, almost all of them barques and full-rigged ships, the largest of maritime craft.

Where:

The Revolving Light was built at Harvey Bank, Albert County, approximately 75 km south of Moncton.

When:

The ship was launched September 15, 1875.

Who:

Gaius S. Turner built the Revolving Light with Charles Ferguson Dow, one of the leading master builders of the period.

© Musée McCord Museum