Keywords:
 
 Include images of partners







Anglican Church Collection (C223)

1770-1919. - 8 cm of textual records.

Administrative History - Biographical Sketch:

In 1760 the first Anglican service in Montréal was conducted by Reverend John Ogilvie for British Troops. By 1790, the local Anglican community had acquired the old Jesuit church as their own house of worship, Christ Church. Between 1811 and 1820, a new Christ Church was constructed on the north side of Notre Dame Street, east of Place D'Armes. When this church burned in 1856, another Christ Church was built, this time on Saint Catherine Street West. From 1787 to 1792, Montréal was part of the diocese of the bishop of Nova Scotia, Charles Inglis. In 1793 Montréal became part of the diocese of the bishop of Québec and was the responsibility of the following bishops; Jacob Mountain (1793-1825), Charles James Stewart (1826-1837) and George Jehoshaphat Mountain (1836-1850). In 1850, Francis Fulford was named as the first bishop of Montréal and held this position until 1868.

(Source : Guide to Archival Resources at McGill University : Private Papers At McGill University. McGill University Archives. 1985. Vol.3, p.300)

Scope and Content:

The Anglican Church collection concerns the construction of Christ Church and includes lists of subscribers, receipts, financial statements. There are some records of the bishops responsible for Montréal including a letter of G.J. Mountain and extracts from F. Fulford's journal.

In addition, the collection includes M.H. Sanborn's treasurer's account book of the Church of England's Association for Young Men and a notebook of Anne McCord concerning the raising of money for charities and the sending of supplies to missionaries.

(Source : Guide to Archival Resources at McGill University : Private Papers At McGill University. McGill University Archives. 1985. Vol.3, p.300)