XX.2306 | Dr Marguerite Michaud
Dr Marguerite Michaud
About 1970, 20th century
7.3 x 6.7 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
In the late-19th century women had to struggle to achieve their rightful place in many spheres. When the simple right of admission to a teachers' training school required certain rulings of the legislature to be changed, the road must have seemed a long one.
Training colleges that formerly admitted men only opened its doors to women in 1848-1849. When Martha Hamm Lewis (1831-1892) was accepted in 1849 as a student at the college in Saint John, New Brunswick, she had to obtain a decree from the Lieutenant Governor, the honorable Edmund Head (1805-1868), to be able to register and attend classes.
For some years most of the francophones registered at the normal school were Acadian women. But the phenomenon was not limited to Acadians in New Brunswick: schoolmistresses were becoming the majority of primary-school teachers all across Canada.
It was thanks to those pioneers and to the ambitions of some francophones that Dr. Marguerite Michaud (1903-1982) became in 1961 the first woman to occupy the position of assistant principal of the Teachers' College in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Dr. Michaud never forgot the struggle and achievement of her French-speaking countrywomen.
At the age of thirteen her hard work and excellent scholastic results earned Marguerite Michaud a medal from the Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick.
Marguerite Michaud studied at a number of institutions including St. Mary's Academy in Newcastle, New Brunswick and the Université de Montréal, in Quebec.
Marguerite Michaud was born on 4 July 1903 in Bouctouche, New Brunswick. She died in 1982.
In 1923 Marguerite Michaud became the first Acadian woman to obtain a university degree: a B.A. from Saint-François-Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia.