XX-365 | St. Isadore's parish, NB
St. Isadore's parish, NB
57.5 x 47.3 cm
Gift of Le Musée du Collège Saint-Joseph
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
At the first Acadian National Convention, in 1881, reports were given on the work of the various commissions studying aspects of Acadian society. One of those was the Commission on Immigration and Colonization.
That commission had been asked to propose solutions to the exodus of Acadians to the industrial centres of Canada and New England in search of jobs. It recommended the opening up of new towns in Acadia as a means to stem that exodus. In addition to drawing young Acadian families into agriculture and back to their ancestral lands, these measures, it was felt, would also expand the land base of the Acadians.
The commission also recommended that "a general colonization committee be set up in Acadia, and that all clergy members become part of it as spokespersons."
This is a photomontage of the parish of St. Isidore, New Brunswick. It is made up of portraits of the parish priests who had served since the incorporation of the village in 1878, as well as photographs of the church, school and rectory.
The village of St. Isidore is located in the County of Gloucester in New Brunswick.
This photomontage of St. Isidore dates from about 1925.
Father Joseph Ouellet presided over the Commission on Immigration and Colonization that reported during the First Acadian National Convention, in 1881. Father Ouellet was from St. Marie de Bouctouche.