X6122.1 | Tercentennial of Champlain's Landing at Saint John, 1604-1904
Tercentennial of Champlain's Landing at Saint John, 1604-1904
P. W. Ellis & Company Limited
1904, 20th century
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
The 17th-century French adventurers Pierre Du Gua, sieur de Monts (1558-1628), and Samuel de Champlain (c1567-1635) were hailed as heroes in 1904. But it seems strange that the English-speaking citizens of New Brunswick had adopted two Frenchmen for veneration. The Acadians, not the Loyalists, were the direct descendants of de Monts and Champlain. One might wonder how the Acadians reacted to the 1904 celebrations.
The commemoration ceremonies were conducted solely in English. New Brunswick Supreme Court Judge Pierre-Armand Landry (1846-1916) made a significant - and the only -Acadian contribution to the Saint John celebrations when he delivered a speech in which he advocated greater tolerance for Acadians in New Brunswick society. Landry's speech was well received but largely overshadowed by the rest of the festivities. Overall, the Acadians did not appear especially interested in the commemoration ceremonies of 1904.
The obverse of the medal depicts the likeness of both de Monts and Champlain while the reverse bears the City of Saint John coat of arms.
The P.W. Ellis & Company Limited of Toronto was commissioned to strike the medals.
The de Monts and Champlain commemorative medals were issued only a few months prior to the start of the June 1904 celebrations.
On behalf of the de Monts and Champlain Tercentenary organizing committee, R.H. Green & Son, Saint John merchants, placed the order for the production of the medals.