X11694 | Camp Meeting Grounds, Brown's Flat, New Brunswick

 
Photograph
Camp Meeting Grounds, Brown's Flat, New Brunswick
About 1900, 20th century
17.9 x 23.2 cm
X11694
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

New Brunswick's river system is extensive. River or coastal steamers ran for good portions of the 19th and 20th centuries along its major waterways, which included the St. John, Miramichi, St. Croix, Petitcodiac and Kennebecasis rivers. Dotting the inland valleys of these rivers were basic cribwork docks or wharves that facilitated the movement of passengers and freight. Here the farmer's produce was piled in barrels, firkins and crates for the next steamer and transport to market at a river town wharf or ocean port.

Passengers embarking at the wharves ranged from the farmer or rural businessman on the way to market or families visiting relatives in the next community, to those making a trans-Atlantic connection in the ports of Saint John, Chatham-Newcastle or St. Andrews.

The river dock was also a point of return for manufactured goods from urban centres and passengers coming home.

Source : Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

  • What

    Throughout most of the 19th century, wharves consisted of large timber boxes filled with rock and earth.

  • Where

    Wharves were constructed in the major riverside communities and also in rural areas at major crossroads and points of exchange.

  • When

    As early as 1788, wharf-like structures appeared along the St. John River Valley.

  • Who

    Various social clubs and groups also used the wharves to embark on pleasure cruises and picnics in the countryside.