X11350 | Interior of the Cushing Sulphite Fibre Company Limited at Union Point, Saint John, New Brunswick
Interior of the Cushing Sulphite Fibre Company Limited at Union Point, Saint John, New Brunswick
About 1905, 20th century
Gelatine silver print mounted on card
20.1 x 25.2 cm
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
New Brunswick's traditional industries of shipbuilding and lumbering were in decline in the early years of the 20th century. To keep the province's economy afloat, new businesses had to be developed, particularly in manufacturing. Some towns tried to attract manufacturing industries with financial incentives: cheap land, free water and exemptions from municipal taxation. For example, the community of Newcastle offered incentives and an interest-free loan to the Anderson Furniture Factory in an attempt to convince the company to establish a plant within its jurisdiction. Newcastle, like several communities, including Edmundston, sought to attract industries that would take advantage of local natural resources.
Moncton became New Brunswick's primary distribution centre after the transcontinental railway was extended there in 1904. As a result, Moncton and surrounding communities such as Sussex experienced rapid growth during this period.
The Cushing Mill encompassed a machine room, wood room, pulp-cleaning house, blow-pit house, digester house, engine house, chemical house, boiler house and sulphur-burning house.
The bulk of New Brunswick's heavy industry, including the Cushing Mill, was located in Saint John.
The Cushing family first established itself in Saint John in the mid-1800s because the St. John River was the only way to transport logs from its extensive timber holdings in northern Maine.
Andre Cushing (1820-1891) and his nephew George Bryon Cushing (1831-1888) came to Saint John from Massachusetts and later owned and operated the pulp mill near the Reversing Falls.