VIEW-8760 | Colonel Hamilton's lot in Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, QC, about 1905

 
Photograph
Colonel Hamilton's lot in Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, QC, about 1905
Wm. Notman & Son
1900-1910, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
VIEW-8760
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

This photograph was taken shortly after the burial of Lieutenant-Colonel Henry McKay. Deceased in October 1904, McKay lies beside his wife, Julia Eliza, née Hamilton, who died in 1893, and George W. Hamilton, a stockbroker who died in 1897. The smaller monuments are in memory of very young children, including "Baby Beryl" under his little marble cross.

The tree sums up this cemetery, which was designed from the beginning as an English-style rural garden. It was a serene, rural place of rest, suitable for walks. Between the summits of Mount Royal Park, there were several ideal little valleys. To the Protestant cemetery on Mount Royal, created in 1852, were added the Catholic Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery, which was very large, laid out in 1855, and the cemeteries for the three synagogues: Shearith Israel, Spanish and Portuguese in origin (in 1852), Shaar Hashomayim and Temple Emanu-El (1890). All the religions present on the mountain in 1900 offered the members of their congregations a peaceful final resting place, in expectation of resurrection, the Last Judgment and eternal life.

Source: Urban Life through Two Lenses (Consult the See Also box on this page)