VIEW-8718 | St. Lawrence Portland Cement Co., Montreal harbour, QC, about 1901
St. Lawrence Portland Cement Co., Montreal harbour, QC, about 1901
Wm. Notman & Son
About 1901, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , harbour (624) , industrial (826) , Industry (942) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
The St. Lawrence Portland Cement Company, one of the biggest cement plants in Quebec, was built in the east end of the island of Montreal in 1901. The production of Portland cement was rapidly increasing at the beginning of the 20th century, along with the use of reinforced concrete. The cement factory would be absorbed by the Canada Cement conglomerate, created in 1909 by Max Aitken. Canada Cement and the Steel Company of Canada were among the largest Canadian conglomerates created before 1914.