VIEW-5027 | Montreal General Hospital, Dorchester Street, Montreal, QC, 1913

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Montreal General Hospital, Dorchester Street, Montreal, QC, 1913
Wm. Notman & Son
1913, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
VIEW-5027
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Architecture (8646) , Cityscape (3948) , medical (125) , Photograph (77678) , streetscape (1737)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Special Cases

Philanthropists were engaged in much charitable work other than poor relief, notably with hospitals. These were originally charitable institutions created to provide medical care for the poor, but over the 19th and early 20th centuries, under the influence of both a medicalized approach to poverty and the needs of the massively increased population, they grew in number, size and specialisation. Like many other social services, hospitals in Quebec were organized on a confessional basis. Religious orders ran the Catholic hospitals while Protestant hospitals were secular. The first Protestant hospital in Montreal was the Montreal General Hospital (MGH), founded in 1819. Other Canadian cities also organised general care institutions: the Toronto General, for example, dates from 1829. Although hospitals received substantial government grants from the 1830s on, most depended on philanthropic donations for their creation as well as for the development of new services, the opening of new wings, and so on.

  • What

    This is a photograph of the Montreal General Hospital, the large general hospital that served the city's Protestant population from the early 1800s on.

  • Where

    The hospital occupied the city block bordered by Dorchester (now René-Lévésque) Boulevard and de La Gauchetière, de Bullion and Saint Dominique Streets. It moved to Pine Avenue in 1955.

  • When

    The hospital was started in 1819 by a group of doctors and philanthropists. It moved to its permanent building in 1822. Regular extensions were added over time to produce the constellation of buildings we see here in 1913.

  • Who

    The list of philanthropists associated with the MGH through donations and committee work reads like a Who's Who of Montreal and includes most of the city's prominent citizens.