VIEW-5025 | Children's Memorial Hospital, Cedar Avenue, Montreal, QC, 1913
Children's Memorial Hospital, Cedar Avenue, Montreal, QC, 1913
Wm. Notman & Son
1913, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , building (531) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
The first children's hospital in Canada was founded in Toronto in 1875. It was not until the start of the 20th century, however, that pediatrics, the branch of medicine dealing with children, really began to develop. In Montreal, hospitals specializing in child care were founded in the first decade of the century. These hospitals improved enormously after World War II, as they began providing expertise, equipment, medication and treatment suited to each individual patient. Hospital care was not free until 1961, however, and visits to the doctor were not covered by the government until 1970.
The Children's Memorial Hospital, originally designed for disabled children, was soon converted into a pediatric hospital providing a full range of care for sick children. Its French-speaking equivalent was Ste. Justine Hospital.
Located in the west end, the Children's Memorial catered to Montreal's English-speaking community. From its temporary quarters on Guy Street, it soon moved to the building shown in the photograph, on Cedar Avenue.
The Children's Memorial was founded in 1902, but did not open officially until January 30, 1904. The Cedar Avenue facility opened in 1909, and the current Tupper Street building, in 1956. Ste. Justine was founded in 1907 and moved in May 1914 to St. Denis Street. It remained there until 1957, when it relocated to its current site on Côte Ste. Catherine.
Dr. Alexander Mackenzie Forbes was behind the founding of the Children's Memorial Hospital. The plan to establish Ste. Justine Hospital was set in motion by Dr. Irma Levasseur (1878-1964), with the support of Justine Lacoste-Beaubien (1877-1967), who would be the guiding spirit of the institution for some sixty years.