VIEW-3932 | Fredericton cathedral, NB, probably 1905
Fredericton cathedral, NB, probably 1905
Wm. Notman & Son
Probably 1905, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
25 x 20 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , Photograph (77678) , religious (1331)
Keys to History
From a very early age, middle-class children were expected to participate in the religious life of the church attended by their family. By the end of the 19th century, almost all religious denominations had special classes and programs for children. Sunday school picnics were important social events that received a lot of attention in local newspapers. In 1861, for example, 1500 Catholic children carrying banners and garlands were led by a band to the harbour to board a steamer headed for the residence of the Halifax archbishop. The girls, wearing white dresses and blue sashes, were especially admired.
Acadian Recorder (Halifax), 24 August 1861.
Christ Church Cathedral was built for John Medley (1804-1892), the first bishop of New Brunswick. It was modeled after St. Mary's, Snetissham, Norfolk.
Christ Church Cathedral is located in Fredericton, the capital city of New Brunswick, and is close to other important government buildings.
The cornerstone for the building was laid on October 15, 1845. The service of consecration marking the official opening of the cathedral did not take place until August 11, 1853, almost eight years later.
Architects Frank Wills and William Buttersfield designed the cathedral in collaboration with Bishop John Medley (1804-1892), the first Anglican bishop in Fredericton.