VIEW-3283.A.1 | Murray Bay Protestant Church, Pointe-au-Pic, QC, about 1898
Murray Bay Protestant Church, Pointe-au-Pic, QC, about 1898
Wm. Notman & Son
About 1898, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on paper - Albumen process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , Photograph (77678) , religious (1331)
This Protestant church is located in the middle of the town of Pointe-au-Pic, in the Charlevoix region of Quebec. Charlevoix had been attracting tourists since the 19th century, and many of those who visited where Protestant. This church was built in 1867. Named Union Church, it was shared by both Presbyterian and Anglican congregations.
In the Victorian era in summer, those who could afford to left the cities, which were polluted, to sail the St. Lawrence River and vacation along its banks. The Charlevoix region was all but inaccessible by land routes, and vacationers often travelled there by boat. After 1853 and the construction of its wharf, they disembarked in Pointe-au-Pic. The first company to offer steamship service on this route was the Richelieu & Ontario. After 1913, when the company amalgamated with Canada Steamship Lines, the latter began servicing this route.
In the second half of the 19th century, several hotels and inns were built in the Pointe-au-Pic area. Many cottages were also built, often by wealthy Canadian and American summer vacationers. However, some visitors preferred to rent a farmhouse or cottage for a few weeks in the summer. The photographer who took this picture was one of them; William McFarlane Notman rented the old house at a farm in Cap-à-l'Aigle, close to Pointe-au-Pic, from 1898 to 1900.