VIEW-3267 | Harbour, St. John, NB, about 1898
Harbour, St. John, NB, about 1898
Wm. Notman & Son
About 1898, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , harbour (624) , Industry (942) , Photograph (77678) , view (1387)
Keys to History
The port of St. John in New Brunswick, shown here, is one of the oldest in Canada after that of Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto and Halifax. In the 19th century, St. John was an important port of entry to the country for immigrants from the British Isles, who arrived in large numbers from 1815 to 1865. From 1846 to 1851, New Brunswick welcomed 38 900 immigrants. Unfortunately, several of them were carriers of contagious diseases.
The quarantine station on Partridge Island, facing the port, had already been in operation since 1785. Like at the Grosse Île station, near Quebec City, ships carrying immigrants had to dock there so as to undergo a medical inspection. The largest cholera and typhoid epidemics on Partridge Island occurred in 1845-1847. One day a doctor reported having more than 2 500 immigrants in quarantine. Another large epidemic hit in the 1890s.
In the 19th century, lumber from the St. John River Valley was transported to the United Kingdom through the port of Saint John.
The port of St. John is located on the south coast of New Brunswick, at the mouth of the St. John River. In the 1850s, a ferry service linked the eastern and western parts of the city.
The quarantine station at Partridge Island, facing the port, closed its doors in 1942.
In the mid-19th century, thousands of Irish immigrants fleeing the famine in their country landed in the port of St. John. At the end of the century, several Jews from Eastern Europe and Russia stopped off there.