VIEW-3176.A | Windsor Hotel and Dominion Square from St. James Cathedral, Montreal, QC, 1897
Windsor Hotel and Dominion Square from St. James Cathedral, Montreal, QC, 1897
Wm. Notman & Son
1897, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , view (1387)
Opened in 1878 in the presence of Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and guest of honour, the Windsor Hotel was built in a strategic location. It stood across from the new Dominion Square - which replaced the old Catholic cemetery - in the middle of an impressive number of new churches and on the western boundary of the growing affluent upper town. Much appreciated as soon as it was opened both by its well-to-do clientele and by distinguished visitors, the hotel gained even more in popularity after Windsor Station was opened nearby.
In 1897, Montreal had all sorts of hotels, most of which were hardly known by the clients of the Windsor. These hotels, which met the varied needs of visitors belonging to all social classes, received both tourists, who were coming in greater numbers because of the train, and travelling salesmen and merchants who came from all around to buy stock from the wholesalers in Montreal, as well as immigrants and people coming in from the country, in transit or to look for work. The latter, however, usually stayed with relatives in the city. The construction of the Viger hotel and station in the east end of the city in 1897 was the beginning of the trend towards a new type of fancy hotel for the general population.
Source: Urban Life through Two Lenses (Consult the See Also box on this page)