VIEW-3009 | McGill University campus, Sherbrooke Street, Montreal, QC, about 1897
McGill University campus, Sherbrooke Street, Montreal, QC, about 1897
Wm. Notman & Son
About 1897, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , educational (709) , Photograph (77678)
At the beginning of the 19th century, McGill University occupied a rural site at the foot of Mount Royal. Over the years, the neighbourhood of the Montreal upper classes, the "Golden Mile," developed around the university. The families of the Anglo-Protestant elite gave the institution substantial donations and bequests. This 1897 photo shows us the growth of the institution, the generosity of its benefactors and the variety of programs it offered. We can see (from left to right) the Redpath Library, the Presbyterian seminary, the Redpath Museum, the Molson Building and the main building of the faculty of arts (in the centre), the faculty of medicine building, and Macdonald engineering, chemistry and physics buildings.
For Francophone Catholics, the establishment of a university program and the construction of a real campus would be a long and arduous process.
Source: Virtual Exhibition Urban Life through Two Lenses