VIEW-2655 | Applied Mechanics lecture room, MacDonald Engineering Building, McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1893 (?)

 
Photograph
Applied Mechanics lecture room, MacDonald Engineering Building, McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1893 (?)
Wm. Notman & Son
Probably 1893, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
VIEW-2655
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Architecture (8646) , educational (709) , Photograph (77678)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

The Macdonald Engineering Building, which opened in 1893, was named after its main benefactor, Sir William Macdonald (1831-1917). Macdonald was a well-known Montreal merchant who had made a fortune in tobacco. Because he had no heirs, he decided to donate a significant share of his wealth to McGill University. The funds were used to finance the construction of new buildings for physics, engineering and chemistry.

The architect Sir Andrew Taylor ensured that the Engineering Building incorporated state-of-the-art facilities. It had several workrooms and laboratories on the ground floor and the first floor, while the well-appointed offices and classrooms were located on the second floor.

In addition to financing the construction of several buildings, Macdonald provided the funds required to administer them. He then directed their management by setting up a management committee for each building.

  • What

    The photograph shows a classroom in the Macdonald Engineering Building. It was lit with electricity and provided reasonably comfortable seating for the students.

  • Where

    The MacDonald Engineering Building is on the main campus of McGill University, with its back to University Street.

  • When

    The photograph was probably taken in 1893, the year the building opened.

  • Who

    The architect Sir Andrew Taylor designed six buildings for the university during the 1890s.