VIEW-2538 | McDonald Engineering Building, McGill University, Montreal, QC, about 1895
McDonald Engineering Building, McGill University, Montreal, QC, about 1895
Wm. Notman & Son
About 1895, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , educational (709) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
Starting in 1856, a civil engineering program was inaugurated at McGill University; unfortunately, it closed its doors in 1864. However, John W. Dawson, who was at the helm of the university, was not ready to see a project in which he believed disappear. In the early 1870s, he convinced rich Montrealers to delve into their pocketbooks so as to fund a new engineering program. He even succeeded in convincing the Premier of Quebec, who promised an annual grant for the training of future engineers. In 1871, the Department of Practical and Applied Science was inaugurated. Two years later, six graduates received their diplomas. A new generation of engineers appeared, who had been trained at the university rather than in the field. This new department had the wind in its sails. It became a faculty in 1875. In the 1890s, tobacco magnate William Macdonald donated several hundred thousand dollars to McGill for the construction of buildings such as the magnificent Macdonald Engineering Building.
Source : Big Cities, New Horizons [Web tour], by Robert Gagnon, Université du Québec à Montréal (see Links)
Photograph of the Macdonald Engineering Building at McGill University taken by the William Notman and Sons studio.
A very refined-looking building, the Macdonald Engineering Building is located on the McGill University campus near the administration building and at the foot of the south slope of Mont Royal.
The Macdonald Engineering Building was erected in 1893. It is devoted to the teaching of applied sciences and to training engineers.
The Macdonald Engineering Building bore the name of famous Montreal patron William Macdonald, a tobacco magnate, who had donated the money required for its construction.