VIEW-25081.0 | Dalhousie College, Grand Parade, Halifax, NS, 1871
Dalhousie College, Grand Parade, Halifax, NS, 1871
William Notman (1826-1891)
1931-1932, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
25 x 20 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , Carriage (288) , Cityscape (3948) , educational (709) , Photograph (77678) , streetscape (1737)
Keys to History
Women began attending Dalhousie College in Halifax in 1881 while Maritimers were still debating whether mental activity posed a risk to their physical health and development. Not surprisingly, the women who attended in the late 19th century were "women of ambition with clear cut goals and a degree of independence." Many women students had already worked as school teachers before they entered Dalhousie. Margaret Newcombe, the first arts graduate, and Annie Hamilton, the first woman to receive a medical degree from Dalhousie, were both veteran teachers. So was novelist Lucy Maude Montgomery, who attended during the 1895-1896 academic term. She found living in residence at the Halifax Ladies College "stifling."
Judith Fingard, "College, Career and Community: Dalhousie Coeds, 1881-1991," in Paul Axelrod and John G. Reid, eds., Youth, University and Canadian Society: Essays in the Social History of Higher Education (Kingston, Montreal, London: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1989).
Dalhousie College was established to provide post-secondary education for young men, but it also had an academy for younger boys.
This photograph shows the original Dalhousie University building that faced the Grand Parade in downtown Halifax. In 1886, it moved to a site on South Common, now the Forrest Campus of the university.
Dalhousie College was founded in 1818, but classes were not offered there until 1838.
George Ramsay, Ninth Earl of Dalhousie (1770-1838), served as lieutenant governor of Nova Scotia from 1816-1820, and also founded Dalhousie College.