VIEW-1948.0 | C.P.R. Station, Montreal, QC, 1889

 
Photograph
C.P.R. Station, Montreal, QC, 1889
Wm. Notman & Son
1885-1915, 19th century or 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
VIEW-1948.0
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Architecture (8646) , Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , Train (185) , transport (150)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

A leader in maritime shipping, Montreal was also dominant in the railway sector, which played a key role in distributing manufactured goods. Two major railways were built in Canada: the Grand Trunk Railway, which served southern Quebec and Ontario from 1854 on, and the Canadian Pacific Railway, which crossed the country and reached the Vancouver area in 1886. Both companies set up their headquarters in Montreal, as well as their main rolling-stock manufacturing and maintenance shops. They had a big impact on the city's economy.

  • What

    This building was erected to accommodate the headquarters of the Canadian Pacific Railway and its main station in Montreal, Windsor Station.

  • Where

    The building sits on the southwest corner of Dominion Square (now Place du Canada), which was one of Montreal's most prestigious business addresses in the late 19th century. Located in the heart of the very upscale St. Antoine ward, it was also close to the Grand Trunk's Bonaventure Station.

  • When

    Construction of the building began in 1887, and it was officially opened on February 1, 1889. Subsequently, two major additions were made, the first in 1900 and the second between 1910 and 1912.

  • Who

    The American architect Bruce Price (1845-1903) was commissioned to design the building. He would leave his mark on Canadian architecture through other creations, too, including the famous Château Frontenac in Quebec City and the Viger Station and Hotel in east end Montreal. Price is a good example of the growing influence that American architects had in Montreal from the end of the 19th century.