VIEW-16185 | Morgan Boulevard looking at market, Maisonneuve (Montreal), QC, 1916
Morgan Boulevard looking at market, Maisonneuve (Montreal), QC, 1916
Wm. Notman & Son
1916, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , Figure (1339) , Figure (1339) , Photograph (77678) , streetscape (1737)
Keys to History
A phenomenon with far-reaching consequences, the remarkable growth of the suburbs was a result of the sharp increase in population. The urbanized area extended well beyond Montreal's city limits, and many small municipalities, including St. Henri, St. Louis and Maisonneuve, were also expanding rapidly. Electric streetcars, introduced in 1892, were a major factor in this development. Lines ran in all directions; making travel easier and allowing Montrealers to live farther away from their place of work.
Montreal sought to take advantage of this urban expansion. The municipal annexation movement, which had made some progress between 1883 and 1893, started up again with renewed vigour in 1905 and was active until 1918. All in all, Montreal annexed 31 different areas, thereby assimilating 23 separate municipalities. By the time this process was completed, the city limits embraced an area five times larger than they had in 1867.
This photograph of Morgan Boulevard provides a view of two imposing public buildings: Maisonneuve Market, in the distance, and the public baths, on the right. Both of these buildings had been erected as part of the City of Maisonneuve's urban beautification program.
Maisonneuve was a suburban municipality located on the eastern edge of Montreal. Founded in 1883, it was annexed by the City of Montreal in 1918.
The Maisonneuve beautification program was carried out between 1910 and 1917. It included the construction of four imposing public buildings and two boulevards and the creation of the huge Maisonneuve Park.
The beautification program was overseen by the brothers Oscar and Marius Dufresne. A shoe manufacturer, Oscar served as a municipal councillor and chairman of the Maisonneuve finance committee. Marius was the municipal engineer for Maisonneuve. The two brothers also built themselves a magnificent mansion, known as the Château Dufresne, which was originally divided into two separate homes.