VIEW-1615 | City Hall and Volunteer Monument, Winnipeg, MB, 1887
City Hall and Volunteer Monument, Winnipeg, MB, 1887
William McFarlane Notman
1887, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
25 x 20 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , civic (349) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
This impressively ornate building served as Winnipeg's city hall from 1886 until it was demolished in 1962. The building breathes the spirit of Victorian optimism that characterized the early pioneer days on the Prairies. Anything seemed possible, and people were predicting that Canada would have a population of 200 million by the year 2000. Like those predictions, the city hall fell somewhat short of expectations. When pieces of it began crumbling in the early 1960s, it had to be replaced by the present city hall, which, though much less interesting architecturally, is better built. The monument is in memory of the men who volunteered for service in the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.
This is the second building that served as Winnipeg's city hall.
The building stood at the heart of Winnipeg, Manitoba, a symbol of civic pride for 75 years.
Opened in 1886, the building developed structural problems, and was demolished in 1962.
The monument in front is to the 90th Winnipeg Battalion of Rifles and the 92nd Winnipeg Battalion of Light Infantry, which served in the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.