VIEW-1425 | C.P.R. station, Winnipeg, MB, 1884
C.P.R. station, Winnipeg, MB, 1884
William McFarlane Notman
1884, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , Train (185) , transport (150)
Keys to History
This solid and imposing stone structure hints at how important and powerful a force the CPR was in shaping the cities of western Canada. After the completion of the railway, Winnipeg became the gateway to the West, with hundreds of thousands of immigrants passing through it on their way to start new farms. This station was destroyed by fire and was replaced in 1904 by a larger station that is now the Aboriginal Centre of Winnipeg.
Source : Forging the National Dream [Web tour], by William R. Morrison, University of Northern British Columbia (see Links)
This is the new CPR station at Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Tens of thousands of immigrants passed through this station on their way to new lives on prairie farms.
The picture was taken in 1884, not long after the station was built.
The group of passengers is dwarfed by the station, whose heavy stone construction hints at the power of the railway in the community.