RB-1494.19 | Atlas of the Island and City of Montreal, Plate 14, 1906

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Plan
Atlas of the Island and City of Montreal, Plate 14, 1906
1906, 20th century
Coloured ink on paper - Photolithography
46 x 73 cm
RB-1494.19
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Plan (2)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

By the early 20th century, Place d'Armes was a well-established landmark of Montreal's financial district. In addition to Notre-Dame Basilica, it was home to several insurance companies, as may be seen in this plan, taken from the 1906 "Atlas of the Island and City of Montreal", published by Charles Edward Goad (1848-1910).

Prepared especially for fire insurance companies, the atlas provided them with diagrammatic maps of the city. This one shows Notre-Dame Basilica across the street from the New York Life Insurance Building, which was the first skyscraper erected in Montreal, in 1888. By 1906, six other life and fire insurance companies had also located in Place d'Armes.

Such plans, with their detailed descriptions of streets, fire-protection facilities and buildings, helped insurers establish risk for policies and assess the extent of damage in the event of fire. Goad's insurance plans and city atlases remain important sources of information on the changing Canadian city in the late-19th and early-20th century.

  • What

    This plan of the City of Montreal is a photo-lithograph printed in colour on paper.

  • Where

    The " Atlas of the Island and City of Montreal" was published by the Publishing Company of the Island and City of Montreal, Limited, in 1906.

  • When

    At the time of his death, Charles Edward Goad (1848-1910) and his assistants had made fire insurance plans for 1,300 Canadian cities.

  • Who

    In "Lovell's Montreal Directory for 1905-06", Charles Edward Goad (1848-1910) is listed as a civil engineer with an office at 185 St. James Street.