PB2-360 | St. Anne's College, Church Point, NS
St. Anne's College, Church Point, NS
About 1990, 19th century
13.2 x 21.4 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
During the Third National Convention of Acadians, in 1890 in Church Point, Nova Scotia, a decision was made to build a college in that town.
The administration of the college was to be assigned to a religious institution, and the Eudist Fathers accepted the challenge. The new educational institution was called Collège Sainte-Anne.
As with other schools in Nova Scotia at that time, students at this college received an education in French and also took some courses in English.
Collège Sainte-Anne became an important educational institution, and several of its graduates went on to make their mark on Acadian society.
In 1971, the Eudist Fathers decided to hand over responsibility for the college, and it became a non-denominational institution.
Collège Sainte-Anne was incorporated as Université Sainte-Anne on April 30,1892.
Located in the County of Digby, Nova Scotia, Collège Sainte-Anne is situated on the shores of St. Mary's Bay.
The original photograph was taken in about 1895.
Two Eudist fathers, Gustave Blanche and Aimé Morin, were sent from France to found the Collège Sainte-Anne.