N-0000.193.12.2 | The Bower, Our Lady's Terrace, Villa Maria Convent, Montreal, QC, about 1860

 
Photograph
The Bower, Our Lady's Terrace, Villa Maria Convent, Montreal, QC, about 1860
William Notman (1826-1891)
About 1860, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
7.3 x 7 cm
Gift of Mr. James Geoffrey Notman
N-0000.193.12.2
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  female (19035) , Photograph (77678) , portrait (53878)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Here are two teachers from the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame surrounded by their students. This religious community had specialized in teaching girls since the early days of Montreal. After 1850, it went through a period of rapid expansion and would spread across Quebec to meet the needs of the quickly growing school system. Other female religious communities would establish boarding schools and primary schools for girls during this period. The education of boys was also entrusted to the clergy. Some communities, such as the Brothers of Christian Schools, mainly ran the public parochial schools, while the Sulpicians and the Jesuits specialized more in the education of the sons of the elite.