MP-1985.55 | Eustis Copper and Pyrite Mine, Eustis, QC, 1918
Eustis Copper and Pyrite Mine, Eustis, QC, 1918
Anonyme - Anonymous
1918, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin silver process
6 x 8 cm
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Industry (942) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
Founded in 1865, the Eustis mine remained in production until 1939. This exceptionally long life, which distinguishes it from the other Eastern Township copper mines, can be explained by the fact that it also extracted iron sulphide used to make acid. Bought out after it was founded, it fell into the hands of the American-owned Orford Nickel and Copper Company, which had tried unsuccessfully to extract nickel from its mine in nearby Orford. Wily businessman Robert M. Thompson, one of the major shareholders, did not lose his interest in nickel, however. In 1902 he played a key role in setting up the multinational International Nickel Company of Sudbury from a merger of several mining companies.
In the centre of this general view of the village of Eustis, we can catch a glimpse of a small foundry that produced a copper concentrate. The Massawippi Valley Railroad, some cars of which can be seen to the left of the foundry, handled shipping.
The Eustis mine is hard to spot, since its main entrance is a horizontal tunnel in the side of the hill (on the right in the photo).
This photograph likely dates from the summer of 1918: Canada was still at war and copper prices were still high.
The miners' houses on the side of the hill face the tunnel. It was still customary at the time for the miners to live near their workplace.