MP-1984.105.1 | Sherbrooke Street at Victoria Street, Montreal, QC, about 1930

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Sherbrooke Street at Victoria Street, Montreal, QC, about 1930
Anonyme - Anonymous
20th century
Silver salts on paper (glossy finish) - Gelatin silver process
20 x 25 cm
Gift of Mr. Earl Preston
MP-1984.105.1
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , streetscape (1737)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

Sherbrooke Street stretches across Montréal, running from east to west, in part along the flank of Mount Royal. At first it was known as the Côte-à-Baron, but in 1817 was renamed in honour of Sir John Coape Sherbrooke (1764-1830), Governor General of British North America. When first laid out, the street marked the town's northern boundary. It was not ideally situated for industry or factories, but did attract many health care and educational institutions, including Notre Dame Hospital, Jacques Cartier teacher's college, Collège Mont-Saint-Louis and the Bon Pasteur convent. These institutions were interspersed with large mansions set amidst fine gardens. Today, the street extends for some thirty kilometres, changing faces as it passes through different neighbourhoods. Downtown, it is home to skyscrapers, museums, art galleries and specialized shops.