MP-1984.10.1.17.1-2 | Montreal Hunt Club, De Lorimier Avenue, Montreal, about 1895

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Montreal Hunt Club, De Lorimier Avenue, Montreal, about 1895
B. L. Singley
About 1895, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
9 x 17.8 cm
Purchase from Bruno Bargelletti
MP-1984.10.1.17.1-2
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

Hunting to hounds is a European tradition that dates back to the Middle Ages, and was brought to Montreal by British army officers in the early 19th century. The first hunt club was created here in 1826. A sort of annex to the garrison, it was used mainly by soldiers up to the 1870s. The woodlands on Mount Royal were ideal hunting grounds for horsemen who enjoyed this traditional aristocratic pastime. The sport was gradually taken over by businessmen who made the hunt club, known as the Montreal Hunt Club after 1880, the city's most prestigious social club. The next few decades were the Club's heyday. At the time, it was headquartered at 403 De Lorimier, at the corner of Ontario Street. Its activities continued to expand, with hunting grounds and kennels in Pointe-aux-Trembles and Saint-Hilaire. Growing industrialization in east-end Montreal prompted the Club to move to Côte-des-Neiges in 1898, and urbanization later forced hunting parties to move farther afield, to the forests near Sainte-Scholastique and in the Eastern Townships.