MP-1978. | McGill University Arts Building, Montreal, about 1870

McGill University Arts Building, Montreal, about 1870
H. A. Kimball
About 1870, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
8.8 x 17.8 cm
Purchase from Dr. William P. Baker
© McCord Museum
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment


This simple wooden sidewalk led to the main building at McGill University, known as McGill College at the time, which is now called the Arts Building. It went up between 1839 and 1843, with an east wing that served as a residence for McGill's first Principal, Sir William Dawson (1820-1899). On the west side was the Molson Building, erected in 1860 to house a library, classrooms, laboratories and a small museum. The three classically inspired buildings were linked by lower sections that are hidden by the trees in these photos. This first campus was built on land donated by wealthy merchant James McGill (1744-1813) to the Quebec government, to be used to create an institution of higher learning that would bear his name.