MP-1977.76.77 | Changing the tube of Victoria Bridge, from Shorton's yacht, Montreal, 1898
Changing the tube of Victoria Bridge, from Shorton's yacht, Montreal, 1898
Alfred Walter Roper
1898, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
10 x 12 cm
Gift of Mr. Vennor Roper
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , bridge (558) , Construction (163) , Photograph (77678) , river (1486) , Waterscape (2986)
Keys to History
This photograph was taken during the renovation of the Victoria Bridge in 1898. The bridge, which had been damaged quite a bit by trains, which had become too heavy and too numerous, would be renovated starting in 1897.
The work began in October 1897, and the bridge was opened to traffic on December 13, 1898. However, it would only be officially opened on October 16, 1901 in the presence of the future King George V and the future Queen Mary. It would be renamed the "Victoria Jubilee Bridge" in honour of the diamond jubilee (60th anniversary) of the coronation of Queen Victoria.
The original piers have been preserved, but the new bridge had a second railway line and an open structure that replaced the old tubular structure. A lane for horse-drawn vehicles and a lane for pedestrians were also added.
The new bridge was 20.2 m (instead of 4.88 m) wide and its height ranged from 12.19 m to 18.29 m (instead of 5.49 m).
The total length of the bridge was 2008.27 m.
A toll was instituted in 1900 to recover the costs of reconstructing the bridge. The toll was 5 cents for a pedestrian and 15 cents for a vehicle.
This photograph was taken by Alfred Walter Roper (1869-1955), an amateur photographer and bank manager in Montreal.