MP-0000.979.1 | Street scene, village of L'Annonciation, QC, about 1890

 
Photograph
Street scene, village of L'Annonciation, QC, about 1890
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1890, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
11 x 16 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
MP-0000.979.1
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , streetscape (1737)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

This photograph shows the church and main street of the town of L'Annonciation, located in Labelle County, in the Laurentian region of Quebec. In 1890 the town was still very young, its first inhabitants having settled there around 1880. Many had moved there from parishes north of Montreal like Sainte-Agathe, Sainte-Adèle, Saint-Jérôme and Saint-Jovite. The town was named L'Annonciation by Father Labelle, who was widely known for promoting the colonization of northern Quebec.

The population of Labelle County, in which L'Annonciation is located, grew by 450 per cent from 1871 to 1881. Nonetheless, by the end of the 1880s, the colonization movement was dying out. From 1887 to 1890, L'Annonciation's population remained about the same.

The truth was, it was very difficult to survive on the land in the Laurentian region. Clearing it was very long and hard, and the soil and climate were not well suited to agriculture. So most families depended on forestry to make ends meet. Not only were they poor, the inhabitants also lacked adequate transportation. The railway, one of the key tools of regional development, did not arrive in L'Annonciation until 1903, when the Canadian Pacific finally opened a line to the town.