MP-0000.891.6 | Craig Street West, Montreal, QC, about 1905

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Craig Street West, Montreal, QC, about 1905
Laprés & Lavergne
About 1905, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
19 x 24 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
MP-0000.891.6
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Blouin Desforges & Latourelle Plumbers (1) , cart (18) , Cityscape (3948) , cityscape (422) , Craig Street (5) , David Ouimet Gas Fixtures (1) , horse drawn (65) , Martin-Senour Paint (1) , Montreal (409) , pair (195) , Photograph (77678) , sign and symbol (31) , streetscape (1737) , streetscape (187) , transportation (338)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Grocery stores were an essential part of the food distribution system. In Montreal, with its rapid population growth, they seemed to be sprouting up everywhere. . There was one on practically every street corner - fine food shops in upper-crust neighbourhoods, more modest grocery stores in working-class areas. Although housewives bought their fresh produce at the market, a whole range of foodstuffs were not sold there. The corner grocery was the place to get flour, sugar, tea, coffee, nuts, raisins, spices. With the development of the food processing industry, new goods in tins, bottles and boxes appeared on grocery-store shelves.

  • What

    This is the southwest corner of Craig Street West (now St. Antoine) and St. Lawrence Boulevard (St. Laurent). The building on the corner is occupied by the Marché de la Côte St Lambert, a grocery store belonging to E. J. Moineau.

  • Where

    This was a very busy part of Montreal, located at the crossroads of two major arteries both of which were well served by a number of electric streetcar lines.

  • When

    In 1905 St. Lawrence Boulevard became the dividing line between east and west in the city. As a result, all the addresses on east-west running streets had to be changed.

  • Who

    In the early years of the 20th century, photographers J. N. Laprès and J. Lavergne regularly had their pictures published in Canada's most popular illustrated magazines. In 1905 their studio was located at the corner of St. Denis and Ontario streets in Montreal.