MP-0000.888.12 | Bowling green and tennis court, Outremont, QC, about 1910
Bowling green and tennis court, Outremont, QC, about 1910
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1910, 20th century
Coloured ink on paper mounted on card - Photolithography
8 x 13 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Bowling Green (1) , Cityscape (3948) , cityscape (422) , Montreal vicinity (18) , Print (10661) , streetscape (1737) , streetscape (187) , Tennis Court (1) , view (243)
Keys to History
The reformers campaigning for more access to recreational activities were thinking not just of children, but also of adults. The rapid growth of cities in the late 19th century and early 20th century was accompanied by the disappearance of open spaces. What was needed, the reformers believed, were multi-purpose parks, accessible to all residents. Such parks would include both children's playgrounds - with their swings, slides, sandboxes and other equipment - and facilities for adult sports - baseball, cricket, tennis and other sports requiring large, open fields. Originally designed as places to walk and relax, parks gradually evolved into places that offered a variety of activities for young and old, alike.
Tennis was, until the advent of public tennis courts, a sport played almost exclusively by the rich.
Tennis evolved as a sport accessible to people of all backgrounds only after the opening of public courts.
The first public tennis courts in Canada were built during the 1910s.
The rich enjoyed the game of tennis in itself, but also for the social gatherings such as picnics and tea parties that were often associated with the game.