MP-0000.840.29 | Greenhouse, La Fontaine Park, Montreal, QC, about 1910
Greenhouse, La Fontaine Park, Montreal, QC, about 1910
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1910, 20th century
Coloured ink on paper mounted on card - Photolithography
9 x 14 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , Figure (1339) , Figure (1339) , Print (10661) , streetscape (1737)
Keys to History
The creation of municipal parks promoted leisure activities. The three biggest ones -- Mount Royal, La Fontaine and St. Helen's Island (now Jean-Drapeau Park) -- remain jewels of Montreal's park system. Annexation of surrounding municipalities added new neighbourhood parks. Around this time, the City opened its first playgrounds for children.
La Fontaine Park, where major development work was done, became a popular destination in the early 20th century. It was the big park in the east end.
La Fontaine Park is located on the site of the old Logan farm, on the north side of Sherbrooke Street. Extensive landscaping was done in the west part of the park, which the federal government donated to the City in 1909. The eastern part, which Ottawa leased to Montreal under a long-term agreement, was used for games and sports.
The hothouses shown on the postcard were built in 1889 to replace the ones on Viger Square. They were torn down in 1954. Creation of the two artificial ponds, one of the park's major attractions, was completed around 1903.
La Fontaine Park was primarily used by French-speaking Montrealers from the east end. It soon became a real focal point of mainstream French culture, one of the city's most popular recreational and social destinations.