MP-0000.76 | Opening of the McGill University Student Union building, Montreal, QC, 1906

The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Opening of the McGill University Student Union building, Montreal, QC, 1906
Arthur A. Gleason
1906, 20th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Gelatin silver process
10.7 x 13.3 cm
Gift of Mr. H. A. Coates
© McCord Museum
Keywords:  event (534) , History (944) , Photograph (77678)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment


The McGill University Student Union building was officially opened in 1906. The event was captured here by an amateur photographer as passers-by watched the dignitaries leaving the building. The three central figures, from left to right, are Sir William Peterson (1856-1921), Principal of McGill University from 1895 to 1919, Lord Strathcona (1820-1914), Canadian Pacific Railway magnate, a major art collector and benefactor who contributed to several of the McGill University buildings, and Sir William Christopher Macdonald (1831-1917), founder of Macdonald Tobacco - formerly known as McDonald Brothers and Co. - and a leading early 20th century philanthropist. Designed by Canadian architect Percy Erskine Nobbs (1875-1964), the Student Union building was recognized as one of the finest clubs in Montreal. Male student members had free access to the building's exercise rooms, baths, showers, lounges and dining room. As student numbers grew, a new student union building was constructed on McTavish Street, allowing the McCord Museum to take over the Sherbrooke Street building in 1971.