MP-0000.25.585 | Foundry pattern shop & manufacturing buildings, Ingersoll-Rand Limited, QC, about 1928
Foundry pattern shop & manufacturing buildings, Ingersoll-Rand Limited, QC, about 1928
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1928, 20th century
Silver salts and transparent ink on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
8 x 10 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , architecture (335) , cityscape (422) , factory (10) , industrial (826) , industrial (22) , Industry (942) , manufacturing building (1) , pattern shop (1) , Photograph (77678) , view (243)
Keys to History
The 1880s saw the introduction of mechanical drills in Canada. Powered by steam, or more commonly, compressed air, they revolutionized drilling in mines, considerably increasing productivity. The first models were very heavy, and it took the strength of several men to move one, but this advanced technology was here to stay. Mines set up a system of underground pipes to power the drills in the different tunnels. The growing demand of the asbestos industry in the region gave rise to the birth or expansion of many mechanical shops, especially in Sherbrooke.
The Canadian Ingersoll-Rand plant in Sherbrooke served the entire Canadian mining industry. It covered over 30 acres and in the 1920s employed several hundred workers.
The city of Sherbrooke, in the Eastern Townships, rapidly became one of the major Canadian manufacturing centres for pneumatic and hydraulic machinery and was home to one of the American multinational's biggest plants.
The Ingersoll-Rand Company was founded in New York in 1905. By the end of the First World War, its plant in Sherbrooke, which could trace its origins back to 1889, made a name for itself as the only manufacturer of heavy equipment.
Simon Ingersoll invented the steam drill that made Ingersoll-Rand a success, in 1871.