MP-0000.25.584 | Main shaft, Horne mine property, Noranda Smelter, QC, about 1926
Main shaft, Horne mine property, Noranda Smelter, QC, about 1926
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1926, 20th century
Silver salts and transparent ink on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
8 x 10 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , industrial (826) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
The company Noranda (a contraction of North and Canada) is well known today. Its origins go back to the operations of a single mine that was for a long time the source of its wealth: the Horne copper mine. The mine was named after its discoverer, Ed Horne, who was convinced that the deposits of northeastern Ontario extended into Abitibi. In 1921 he registered promising claims along Lake Osisko. Unable to afford the investment required, he sold his rights to a consortium that, after a few transactions, ended up in the hands of Canadian businessmen. With the financial support of Noah Timmins, a smelter was built, which made the mining operation profitable.
This is shaft no. 3 at the Horne mine. The headframe is still under construction. As the configuration of a deposit gradually became known and ore extraction intensified, mines often opened other shafts.
The mining town of Noranda was built between the mining complex, which included headframe no. 3, and Lake Osisko.
In 1926, when the miners were digging the shaft, there were virtually no mines in Abitibi, but over the next 10 years, mining operations expanded considerably, even though it was the middle of the Depression.
From the time it opened, the mine attracted many immigrant labourers, but the Depression of the 1930s resulted in the closing of Canada's borders, thus forcing the mining company, like others, to turn increasingly to Canadian labour.