MP-0000.25.176 | Chaudière district, Ottawa, Ontario, about 1922
Chaudière district, Ottawa, Ontario, about 1922
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1922, 20th century
Silver salts and transparent ink on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
8 x 10 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , harbour (624) , Photograph (77678) , view (1387)
This view taken from Parliament Hill in Ottawa shows the Ottawa River and the industrial district that stretched back from it. Several factories, their chimneys belching black smoke, sit on each bank of the river. Although they are not visible here, the Chaudière and Rideau Falls are not far away.
One of the most important rivers in Canada, at 1,271 kilometres in length, the Ottawa River was a major catalyst in Ottawa's industrial development. Starting in the 19th century, log rafts were floated down the river to the sawmills located along its banks. But, by 1910, the highest quality wood in the Ottawa Valley had been cut. What remained was low-quality timber, good mostly for making pulp and paper. Gradually, the sawmills on the Ottawa River were replaced by pulp and paper mills.