MP-0000.236.2 | Flood, Bonaventure Depot, Montreal, QC, 1886

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Flood, Bonaventure Depot, Montreal, QC, 1886
George Charles Arless
1886, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
19 x 23 cm
Gift of Mr. H. L. St. George
MP-0000.236.2
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  boat (111) , Bonaventure Depot (1) , canoe (11) , car (4) , disaster (71) , disaster (45) , figure (1849) , flood (18) , Grand Trunk Railway Yard (1) , group (644) , History (944) , history (162) , Montreal (409) , Old Bonaventure Station (1) , Photograph (77678) , rail (53) , train (9) , transportation (338)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

In 1886, floodwaters invaded the Bonaventure Depot, partially engulfing the rail vehicles parked there.

Water does not mix well with railway infrastructures, which it weakens or even destroys. Railway bridges can be swept away by overflowing rivers, leaving the tracks suspended in mid-air. And railways located on the banks of swift-moving currents are often under threat. In spite of that, rail tracks were laid in the port of Montreal in 1871 to facilitate the transfer of merchandise between trains and ships.

Source : Disasters and Calamities [Web tour], by Nathalie Lampron (see Links)

  • What

    Between 1886 and 1888, the original Bonaventure Depot was replaced by a building more in keeping with the prominence of the Great Trunk Railway. By then, the company's rolling stock included more than 700 locomotives and 18,000 wagons.

  • Where

    The original Bonaventure Depot was located on Chaboillez Square, between Inspector and Cathedral streets.

  • When

    Built in 1847, the Bonaventure Depot was a modest little train station made of wood. The Grand Trunk Railway replaced it in 1886 with an elegant Victorian building.

  • Who

    The Bonaventure Depot was originally built for the Montreal and Lachine Railroad Company, which began operating in 1847. It was subsequently used by the Grand Trunk and Canadian National railways.